Chili Cookoff Recipes
“Chili Cookoff” is an annual event where members have a friendly competition to decide who’s chili is the best in three different categories: Traditional, Most Original and White Chili. Prizes are awarded and attendees are the judges.
2017 Chili Recipes
Buffalo Turkey (or chicken) Chili
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 pounds ground chicken breast ( or turkey)
• 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 large onion, chopped (use pampered chef chopper on all veggies)
• 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
• 5 cloves garlic, chopped
• 5 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon ground paprika
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup hot buffalo wing sauce (such as Frank’s® REDHOT Buffalo Wing Sauce), or to taste
• 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney or cannellini beans, drained
• 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Place chicken in the pot. Cook and stir 7 to 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper, and cook and stir until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 more minutes.
Stir in the hot sauce, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and white and red kidney beans. Bring to a boil, and simmer over medium-low heat about 1 hour, until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have blended.
Top with chili toppings OR blue cheese and celery stalks.
Always great over rice!
Spicy Cuban Pork Chili
2 pounds pork tenderloin, whole
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped
3 – (15 ounce) can black beans, not drained
1 – can diced tomatoes, not drained
1 – can Rotel, not drained
4 – stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 (16 ounce) jar medium salsa
½ cup chicken broth
1 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/3 teaspoons chili powder
12 oz. Chorizo (medium heat)
1 Chipotle pepper (in adobe sauce), diced
1 Guajillo pepper, chopped
1. Brown chorizo. Sauté onion, bell pepper, & celery with chorizo
2. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set to low and cook for 9 hours.
3. Break up cooked pork to thicken the chili before serving over rice.
2016 Chili Recipes
3 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans hot chili beans
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
1 bottle Bloody Mary mix
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1¼ teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
¼ teaspoon cayenne
Brown meat and drain. Sauté onion and pepper until tender (about 5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes.
White Chicken Chili
1 large onion chopped and sautéed
1 box chicken broth (More may be needed)
2 – 4oz. cans of chopped green chilies
2 t. ground cumin
1 ½ t. dried oregano
¼ t. ground gloves
¼ t. cayenne pepper
4 cups diced cooked chicken breast
5 cans navy beans drained (other types of white beans can be used)
Bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer about an hour.
Southwest Turkey Chili (not spicy)
1 pound ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 can beef broth
2 cans chili beans, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes (chili ready, undrained)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can white or black beans, drained
chopped cilantro, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
Brown ground turkey. Add onions, peppers, and celery and cook down til tender. Add beef broth and all other canned items. Simmer 20 minutes and add cilantro, salt and pepper. Maybe even a dash of cayenne!
Serve with chips, sour cream and shredded cheese.
Prep 30 mins ∙ Serves 8-10