Soupfest Recipes

Soup Fest”  is an annual crowd-pleaser and is a friendly competition featuring a variety of soups from the many talented cooks in our congregation.  Prizes are awarded for the best soups in the following four categories:  Best of the Bird (chicken), Soup on the Hoof (beef), Garden Variety (vegetable), and Wild Card (anything goes).

2017 Recipes

Chick n Noodle Soup with a Twist

INGREDIENTS
1 bag of matchstick carrots
5 stalks of celery, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans of kitchen cut green beans
2 can of Italian tomatoes, diced or stewed
1 can of beef broth
add more liquid to cover (water, V-8, or broth)
1 packet of Lipton soup extra noodle
3 cups of chopped cooked chicken

DIRECTIONS
In a soup pot, salt and cook down the raw veggies for 20 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add broth and canned veggies. Allow to cook for a while until celery is soft like you want it. Cover with more liquid (v-8, water, broth) before adding noodle packet. Add in cooked chicken if you want- great as a veggie soup too. Add noodle packet. Stir and simmer until noodles are cooked.

You can season with Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce, salt and pepper, or herbs.

Elizabeth Wilkins
(from Paprika Recipe Manager)

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp. dill
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 large onion (frozen chopped onion works well!)
¼ cup parsley
3 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. butter
1 cup whole milk
½ cup sour cream
3 cups vegetable stock
S & P to taste

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in large sauce pan and sauté onions and mushrooms over medium heat.  About 15 minutes or until mushrooms cook down.
Mix in flour and paprika.  Cook about 5 minutes.
Add in the vegetable stock, soy, and milk.  Bring to a gentle boil and reduce the heat.  Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Mix in sour cream, lemon juice, dill, parsley, and S & P.

Katy Mink

Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup (My Version!)

INGREDIENTS
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
Garlic
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 quart half and half (plus more)
2-4 cans (14-oz.) chicken broth
Dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 bag chopped spinach
1 pkg. Italian sausage
1 pkg. ready-to-use gnocchi (I used 2 different kinds = you can use whatever you like)

DIRECTIONS
Cook sausage in olive oil until well-browned. Remove from pot. Let cool then slice. Add to pot onion, celery, garlic and carrots stirring until onions are translucent. Whisk in flour. Cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in half and half. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in broth and simmer until thickened again. Stir in some salt, thyme, parsley, nutmeg. Add spinach, sausage, and gnocchi. Simmer until hot.

Like I said, this is my version and I add whatever and how much I think would be good. So you do the same and make it “yours”!

Paula Scott

2016 Recipes

Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup

Prep 20 mins ∙ Cook 9 hrs ∙ Serves 8

INGREDIENTS
• 8 frozen skinless boneless chicken breast
• 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 14 oz. can of coconut milk (full fat), shake before opening can to avoid separation
• 2 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice
• 2 cups of chicken broth
• 1 small can of tomato paste
• 1/2 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
• Sea Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Put all the above ingredients into the crock-pot, cook for 9 hours on low. After 9 hours take two forks and shred the chicken, set the crock-pot on warm till ready to serve (making sure to taste it before serving to make sure there is enough salt and pepper)

Elizabeth Wilkins

Broccoli Cream Cheese Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 cup chopped green onions
4 Tbs. butter
32 oz. cream cheese
4 cups half and half
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
6 10 oz. packages of frozen broccoli florets
or about 3 individual heads of fresh
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
slivered almonds, toasted

DIRECTIONS
Sauté’ the onions in butter in a large pot. Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add it along with the half and half to the pot with the onions. Stir over low heat until the cheese melts. Add the broth and set aside. Cook the broccoli and drain. Blend 1/2 of the broccoli in a food processor. Add it, along with the remaining broccoli to the soup mixture. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve in a bowl and add the toasted almonds on top if desired.

Patty Pendleton

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

INGREDIENTS
• 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
• 2 cups of milk
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
• 2 tsp. minced garlic
• 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
• 2 tsp. curry powder
• 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
• Pinch ground cayenne pepper
• 3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin
• 5 cups of chicken broth

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add onion and garlic. Cook and stir often until softened taking 4 minutes. Add spices and stir.  Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth and blend well. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.  Transfer soup to a blender. Cover and blend until smooth.  With soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Add milk while stirring. Add cream and seasonings. Add a teaspoon of salt. Serve and enjoy!

*Notes: I like curry and the soup needed a little more flavor so I added more curry and coriander. I also used an immersion blender directly in the soup pot instead of transferring soup to a traditional blender.

Zoe Anne Cagle

Italian Sausage Soup

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 lb. Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3-10 1/2 cans beef broth
1-28 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 medium size green bell pepper, chopped
3 T. parsley
1/2 t. dried basil
3 cups uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat; remove sausage, and drain well, reserving 1 Tbsp. Drippings in skillet.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in drippings. Combine sausage, onion mixture, broth, and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Add pasta and zucchini. Cover and simmer 12 minutes.

Sarah Barbour